Monday, March 19, 2012

Cthulhu crocheted hat by CraftyPA




Sometimes, you stumble across cool grannies while hunting for handcrafted goods. Not only does the proprietorix of Etsy's CraftyPA fund visiting the grandkids by crocheting garments of unfathomable evil but her response to my head measurement was "let me add a couple stitches" instead of the typical "yarn stretches." On top of that, she agreed to refund my original purchase price if efforts to clad me in atrocity failed.
Coolness of the seller aside, this is one of my favorite Cthulhu ski mask patterns. Several others mistake the my elder god for a green dude vomitting calamari or appear based off those wonky headdresses from the "Collect Call of Cthulhu" episode of The Real Ghostbusters. This one has a large alien-looking forehead, evil shaped eye openings, and nicely varied mouth tentacles.



If there's anything I don't dig 100%, it's the puny human mouth opening. It's nigh impossible to lift the tentacles out of the way and aim the fairly minuscule opening at the mouth of the average pint glass. However, that's a very minor concern.
In terms of construction, it's abundantly apparent CraftyPA knows what she's doing. I went through row by row looking for odd gaps or loose stitches. In the end, I found nothing posing a significant threat to structural integrity. I'd honestly say that if the one odd looking spot isn't a byproduct of the method, it adds a lot of character and isn't worth sweating.
All in all, this particular incarnation of Cthulhu was a steal of a deal at $23.00. Due to being made of acrylic fiber, there is a high degree of scratchiness. However, that fiber is a bit less likely to shrink if washed improperly. That's a real bonus if you plan to sip a pint without removing any layers. It also came in handy as the garment smelled of cigarettes enough to feasibly remind the cats of my ex. They sort of declared a jihad upon all signs of her return and might have killed Crochethulhu if I had to undergo a particularly complicated wash ritual.

95.234/100

- Posted using The Hammer

No comments:

Post a Comment