Thursday, March 1, 2012

Phuddy Duds Red Warrior Helm





The wife often asks me why I hate on hipsters. It's because they keep on following me and tainting perception of how I roll. Ironic appreciation was my thing for fifteen+ years now it makes me an insta-bastard. Cool kids gave me shit at a Between the Buried and Me concert for wearing a hand-knit Froghat. Within six months, I caught some of the same skinny-jeaned bastards on the subway wearing Knitwit penguins. Then the other day, I got some mail encouraging me to buy an amazing LULZy insta-beard hat to amuse my clear-lenses glasses buddies.
Those hideous machine-made turds struck me as downright blasphemy against the glory of Phuddy Duds masterpiece.



Let's start at the tippity top. That bump rendered so poorly by my ultra-deficient camera is the traditional hub where the seams in steel helmets meet. Such details will be missed by most but the Phudsters included both as well as using a yarn with sparkly threads to lend the piece some glint.




 



Something else my easily overwhelmed picture generator cannot truly convey are the textural flourishes of the main body. Rows alternate between slanted vertically oriented stitches then horizontal "mini-braids." Facial hair is far less smooth than the gentle fiber used here and the little textural touches really help maintain the standard for realism set in upper potions.






As Louis Jucker from The Ocean illustrates, the braids are very well done too. They flow and hang like properly weighted facial hair and look positively spiffy during rounds of headbanging.
Phuddy Duds did a great job on their Viking hats. Some might prefer the white-haired version. It suggests a higher rank in the hordes and has a nicely shaped helm portion complete with nosebridge. However, I'd stick with the red version as the beard style is better for Metal shows. Plus, the open facial cavity makes it easier to fit on more epic heads.






99/100

-Posted using The Hammer

No comments:

Post a Comment