Monday, April 23, 2012

Trinity Kilts Customized Tactical





I don kilts enough that kennel workers saw me wearing pants while picking up the pup and asked if I was doing anything fancy. Couple frequency of wear across all conditions with my unusually large frame and it becomes clear I need to go custom.
This kilt was intended as an all-weather daily knockaround. I wanted something in an easily cleaned material with a goodly amount of pocket space. Trinity won out due to their product's feature set.




Firstly, the holster and sheath listed in the Tactical Kilt description attach via well integrated straps on the side. If you want smooth lines to avoid drawing the eye away from a handsome plush Cthulhu sporran, removal is easy. Standard carabiners clip on well so you can carry anything from beer holsters to treat pouches or a slightly modified 8 bit Nintendo console without issue.



Another handy feature which makes side pocket use easier are the ultra deep rear pockets. Just above my thumb in the super high quality cellphone photo above, you'll see a tiny wallet slit. That and its twin are openings to caverns deep and wide enough to hold 12oz. bottles, pint glasses, or three models of handheld videogame consoles.

One key to making this all work long term lies in Lyndsey's stitching. She uses the thickest thread her reliable old beast of a machine can handle. Then each stitch is gone over several times. In order to tear out the average pleat on this beast, I'd need a heavy duty seam ripper and about an hour of free time. That's a damned good thing since the blueish blackish material used in this beast is quite thick and heavy.
I wound up sending the beast back because attempts to thread through my cartoonishly wide, double clasp, mega-belt of doom popped a belt loop. Without add ons, the beast feels heavier than my traditional wool kilt. It's fantastic in winter because sudden winds during snowstorms can't lift a damned thing even if I forget a snap or two between the second and third apron layers.



Speaking of winterization, the other side of that coat zipper above sits atop a fitted piece of
Polar Fleece. I've zipped that in place, gone outside, and needed to be told it's 15 degrees below freezing so I might want to at least upgrade to kilt hose before going for a walk.
All in all, Trinity's tactical is a well made, cleverly designed kilt. I am convinced its extreme weight causes pleat flow issues but the wife and half a sheep and wool festival tell me otherwise. As a rather large bonus, the seamstress is accommodating and passionate about her work. The only reason I'm not ordering more from them is my current one fits my needs so well.

97/100
Http://trinitykilts.com

Posted using The Hammer

4 comments:

  1. Where oh where did you get that Sporran? I NEED IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a Cthulhu dice bag from Steve Jackson games. Since it's not technically a sporran, there are a couple design aspects to overcome. Firstly, storage capacity is severely limited so I just use it as a pill case. Second, it's not designed to hang. I generally just attach a safety pin to the zipper pull then attach to the apron near or under my kilt belt.

      Delete
  2. Nice to read your article! I am looking forward to sharing your adventures and experiences. Tactical kilts

    ReplyDelete
  3. well your article is very impressive, Get More Information To LibertyKilts.com

    ReplyDelete